Jeremy Davis's picture

Hi,

Chances are if you're reading this, you have applied for a TurnKey website user account.

Considering that 95% of all signups are spammers and/or seo farmers, plus the hammering the site has got from spammers earlier in the year, blocking auto signups was probably overdue. However, it can be really hard to tell the difference between a potential spammer and a legitimate user. So I'm almost certain that I delete legitimate accounts when I cleanup the obvious spammer ones.

So this thread has 2 main purposes:

1. A place where prospective users, waiting for account approval, can introduce themselves, share a little about what they are using TurnKey for and demonstrate that they are a legitimate human; and
  2. A place where TurnKey users who are looking for support can post their question(s)/issue(s) while they are awaiting account approval.

Intro post

The first is pretty self explanatory, but I anticipate that spammers and seo farmers will want to try to game the system and will likely post friendly messages in the hope that they will convince me. So if you fit into this category, please be sure to mention specifically which appliance you are running (or plan to run) and on what platform. Also if you can give some context to your username and/or email, that might help me too. I'm not going to go into what sort of things I use to tell the difference (because spammers will adapt their behaviors) but I'm hoping that this will give some solid hints for legit users, but won't get read by too many spammers. One thing I can say is that the more detail you share, the harder it is to "fake" it, the more specific you can be, the less likely you are to be a spammer.

Guest support post

For the second category, please be sure to include lots of info. The reason for that is two-fold. Firstly, so I can tell you're not faking it to try to get your spam account enabled. Secondly, so that we can provide a useful response (rather than just asking you more questions). Definitely include the specific TurnKey appliance and version that you are using (and/or the output of 'turnkey-version'), plus details of the problem you are experiencing or thing you are trying to do but need advice on. Please provide as much info as possible.

Final words

If you're still reading, I'm almost certain that you aren't a spammer. Please post a new post below (as a guest). In the provided space for email address (which won't be publicly visible), please be sure to include the same email as you used for your account signup. Please note that your post may need to be manually reviewed before it is public visible.

Note too that support type posts will be moved. Other posts might be cleaned up from time to time too, so please don't be put off if there are no posts below.

Forum: 
Daniel Torre's picture

Hello,

My name is Daniel. I am learning to use proxmox on my own and I have discovered your magnificent TurnKey proposal.

I await your authorization to be part of this community.

Thank you so much

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hi Danial, welcome aboard! Thanks for your kind words.

I've enabled your website account, so please feel free to post on our forums if you have any questions, concerns or feedback for us. Also, we provide free "best effort" support via our forums and I will aim to respond ASAP, although that may be a few days.

Hopefully see you about on the forums.

pavidco Furniture's picture

Hello!

i just registered trying to use mine os with proxmox.thanks

Jeremy Davis's picture

I've enabled your account, but please note that Mine OS isn't an official TurnKey image.

That doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't use it, but the support we can offer is limited.

FYI we also have a(n official) GameServer appliance which has support for installing Minecraft server, plus many other game servers.

Tim's picture

Hi, I'm Tim. Found out about TurnKeyLinux whilst running ProxMox in a home lab.

Please authorize my account so I can use some of the templates!

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hi TIm, I have now enabled your account. So please feel free to create a new post on our forums.

If you want to use our built in backup and data migration tool; TKLBAM then you'll need to sign up to our SaaS product - the TurnKey Hub. That needs to be done separately as the user databases are separate.

Either way, please note that registration (here &/or the Hub) is not required to use our templates.

Manoa Michael's picture

Hello,

I just joined Turnkey today and I want to be part of the community and gain and share knowledge from your forums. I want to test wordpress primarily but also seen many others stuffs that are really interesting.  I am waiting patiently for your approval. Thank you in advance !

Regards, Michael

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hi Michael, welcome to TurnKey. I've enabled your account, so please feel free to post in our forums. Please share any issues, questions and/or feedback you have for us. I'd love to hear how you're going and if you have issues, I'll give you free "best effort" support and if it's a bug in our setup or something we could improve, I'll open an issue so we can address it in a future release.

If you like TurnKey and continue to use it, please consider supporting us via our SaaS platform, the TurnKey Hub.

Hopefully catch you around. :)

Koosh420's picture

New home lab user, getting into Linux as a hobby 

Jeremy Davis's picture

Welcome to TurnKey. I've enabled your account, so please feel free to post in our forums. Please share any issues, questions and/or feedback you have for us.

I'd love to hear how you're going and if you have issues, I'll give you free "best effort" support. If it's a bug in our setup or something we could improve, I'll open an issue so we can address it in a future release.

Jean-Louis's picture

Hi, I'm testing Turnkey on a Proxmox server, seams great for now. I will try Linetime and GameServer first, and then other applications.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hi Jean-Louis. Welcome to TurnKey/ I've enabled your website user account, so please feel free to open a new thread in our forums if you have issues, questions or feedback.

FYI we just published updated versions of both Gameserver (v18.0) and Leantime (v18.1) yesterday. The Gameserver update is a major OS version update and the game scripts. The Leantime release is just an update of Leantime itself and the most up to OS date packages (that you could install yourself with 'apt update && apt upgrade'). FYI I haven't yet updated the website (for ISO downloads) but the PVE Templates section (in the web UI) should already show them. If not, then you can manually force the list to update. I'm note sure how to do that via the Proxmox web UI, but IIRC from the CLI this should do it:

pveam update

Good luck with it all, and please feel free to post back with how you go and what you think. Although a new thread is probably the best place to do that.

Hegel's picture

I have been running some containers on my Pi for a while already. Now I just bought a ThinClient for my home lab and installed Proxmox on it to try out if I like it better than manually taking care of all the low-level sysadmin stuff. In Proxmox I saw the turnkey templates and it made my curious. I am still waiting for a bigger disk (only have 16Gb which is really limiting), but as soon as I have one I want to try and migrate my Nextcloud and maybe some image galleries for family as well - have not yet checked if turnkey offers immich

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hi there. I'm always interested to hear how people go, especially if you hav any problems or questions, but positive feedback is nice too! :)

I've approved your website user account, so please feel free to start a new thread in the forums.

Re image gallery, we do have a "Gallery" appliance, although the software is quite old. It has been updated to run in modern PHP, but not the look of it. It looks a bit old school.... Please try it out though and see what you think.

Simon Hotchin's picture

Hi there,

New homelab experimenter starting to learn about LXCs and networking.  Already playing with Turnkey wireguard and a couple of other things and would like to be able to get the API key for back-up and access the forums etc.  Appreciate you are busy and there is no rush.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hi Simon, glad to have you here! :)

I've enabled your website user account, which you can use to post on the forums (without waiting for me to approve your posts). We welcome posting about any issues, questions or feedback of any sort.

To get an API key and try the remote encrypted backups, you'll need to sign up to the TurnKey Hub (the user databases are separate). If you have any problems or questions specifically to the Hub, please hit me up via Hub support (blue icon in the bottom left). You could post in the forums too/instead if you want, but you'll get a quicker response via support (I prioritize that).

Hopefully catch you around.

Tom G's picture

Support for installing npm packages globally more securely without root or sudo:

su node
npm install -g package

The documentation for the node.js appliance states npm packages can be globally installed without root/sudo, however when trying to execute the above command as the 'node' user, I get 'EACCES: permission denied'. The '/usr/local/lib/node_modules' directory appears to be owned by root. How therefore should I execute 'npm install -g ...' other than as the root user, which seems to go against the purpose of using '-g' ?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hi Tom, thanks for reporting!

Sounds like there's something not quite right with our NodeJS app then! As you note, it's actually stated on the NodeJS page that the command you used should work as you expected - but obviously doesn't!

TBH I'm not sure what has happened there as the guide that is on the appliance page is clearly not how it's set up!?

I'll have to have to look into what happened there and fix it so it does work as expected - it certainly should do what it says on the tin!

I've put an issue on our issue tracker so it doesn't get forgotten.

In the meantime as a workaround, you could try the below. It's essentially what is in that guide that is linked, but with some tweaks:/p>

su node
mkdir "${HOME}/.npm-packages"
npm config set prefix "${HOME}/.npm-packages"
cat > "${HOME}/.bashrc.d/node" 

I've also cross posted it to the issue as well. That should work. Please let me know if it doesn't and I'll try again.

PS I've deleted your double post. All good! :)

Pages

Add new comment