Hugh's picture

Hope the title makes sense.  I have a backup of a server that has gone through penetration testing, having been restored several times during the process.  The vulnerabilities are being fixed as we speak.  What I would like is to create a backup of the server post-hardening so that I have a tklbam snapshot of the pre-hardening and post-hardening configurations.  Is that possible?

I'm hesitant to just give tklbam-backup a go on the hardened server for fear of overwriting the backup of the unhardened version, which I want to keep.

Thanks in anticipation.

Forum: 
Tags: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

If they are the same server then a new backup record will be created, but it will be the same backup ID if you get what I mean? Same server; new backup... You should be able to reinitialise tklbam so that it does create a new backup ID (essentially a new server as far as tklbam is concerned) although I don't recall the steps OTTOMH.

If you have actually restored to a new server (i.e. the old server still exists and now you have a new one) then a backup will auto create a new backup ID. So new server; new backup...

Also note that whilst a snapshot makes sense in the context that you use it; in the Hub "snapshots" and "tklbam backups" are totally separate and different things. As you know "tklbam backups" are a small compact backup of the important parts of a TurnKey server. "Snapshots" are a complete filesystem image. They are a quick, easy way of doing things, however they are large in size and potentially volatile so not suitable as a standalone backup.

Hugh's picture

Thanks Jeremy.

I restored to a new server - in fact have done so several times.  So I have four or five servers all labelled "Micro Wordpress" in my hub.  So if I use tklbam-backup on the latest one, it will create an entirely new full backup?

Jeremy Davis's picture

But yes that's right. FWIW you can edit the server label so they are more identifiable! :)

Add new comment